Inclusive Leadership Conference
The conference began in 2009 at Temple University. The goals of the program were to give back to the Philadelphia community by providing a low-cost leadership conference for greater Philadelphia regional students. Now more than ever Philadelphia-area college students must develop the knowledge and skills to lead ethically and inclusively in diverse contexts to create positive change. Governments, organizations, companies and other entities are calling, on a global level, for more inclusive structures and policies. The conference strives to create conversation and action to bring inclusivity to higher education.
Inclusive leaders are people who listen to and reflect the wide range of human histories, cultures, ethnicities, and perspectives. They recognize leaders everywhere, regardless of power or position. They create spaces for cultural interaction. The markers of distinction are ethnicity, race, social class, gender, sexual orientation, mental and physical ability, and language. Social justice is defined as searching, understanding, critiquing and taking action on injustice. Inclusion is defined as social justice can be achieved if people are meaningfully included in institutional practices and processes.
This event will foster dialogue within and between students at attending Pennsylvania and New Jersey colleges and universities to lead more inclusively and effectively on their campuses and in their communities.
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Explore their personal leadership values, the impact of identity on leadership, and how to lead inclusively.
- Connect with college students and administrators throughout the Philadelphia area to share best practices in leading with ethics and inclusiveness.
- Learn about social justice issues relevant to our community and how to take action to bring about positive social change.
- Walk away with strategies and tools to demonstrate inclusive leadership within their own campuses, the Philadelphia community, and our greater world.
Sample topics of break-out sessions include:
- Building Powerful Partnerships for Positive Change
- Cultural Competence
- Inclusive Campus Leadership
- Leading with Integrity
- Leadership in the 21st Century
- Personal Branding
- Racial Inclusiveness
- Sustainable Leadership